Minecraft maps are items that depict the terrain that the player has already explored. Initially empty, they chart terrain information as the player explores the Minecraft environment while holding the map in his/her hands. And afterwards, they can be used to view the explored parts of the Minecraft world on a (virtual) piece of paper. Minecraft maps are extremely useful in multiplayer, as they can provide the game with a whole new dimension. Players can trade maps with each other and see which parts of the Minecraft world have been explored, and they can even be shared and combined so that two or more players can mutually reap the benefits of each other’s exploration efforts. And, lest we forget, Minecraft maps can still fulfil the original purpose of any map; that is, provide direction in case of loss of orientation.
Just like texture packs, there are also tons of custom, user-created Minecraft maps available online, which reflect their own explorations. Here are two quite striking examples for Minecraft v 1.0.0:
Playable Guitar Map
The guitar is one of the most popular musical instruments. In fact, it is one that lies at the core of modern music and has millions of followers in all corners of the world. This map brings this magnificent instrument to Minecraft. After many failed attempts in the community, Minecraft user Disco_! really hit the nail on its head with this one, finally bringing a classic guitar to the Minecraft world with success. It functions pretty much like a real one; you can select your chords and play whatever song you’d like. You can search the internet for some simplified versions of the songs you like, and have a go at playing them in Minecraft.
Notable Playable Guitar Map Features
- Choose between 10 basic chords; to pick your own, press the on/off lever, and then click on loop, and just hit the chords you’d like.
- To change to a new chord, step on it and then on the first beat step. You should then step on the new chord before the next beat step.
- Play any song you desire
- Ability to turn off the guitar before signing out
- You first need to download the Playable Guitar Map for Minecraft 1.9 and 1.8.1.
- Go to Windows Start Menu, click on “Run”, type >%appdata%>.minecraft>saves.? and click OK. This should open your minecraft/saves directory.
- Extract the compressed archive into the saves folder.
- Run Minecraft and select your newly installed map.
- Have fun on the guitar!
Kingdom of the Sky Adventure
This is an adventure-oriented map for up to two players. It is a neat proposal as it was complemented with YouTube voiceover narrative so as to provide a storyline to the game itself; whenever the player reaches a certain point in game, they can switch to YouTube and watch the next part of the story, before switching back to continue gaming. This makes the map a lot more fascinating than just playing it with no storyline at all or having to follow written dialogues.
In a nutshell, the story is that when you leave your home, you will meet somebody who will be pleading for assistance. And you decide to help them out and defeat the evil that has conquered his homeland, the Kingdom of the Sky.
- Download Kingdom of the Sky map
- Go to Start menu, select ‘run’ and type “%appdata%”.
- Navigate to the “.minecraft/saves” folder
- Run the zip archive.
- Drag and dropped the saved world directory into “/saves”
- Enjoy your new world.
Minecraft Maps Summary
There are hundreds of custom minecraft maps waiting for you to try out, and if you feel a little undecided or simply have a musical inclination, the two we just listed here are an excellent starting point. We would be glad to receive your comments or suggestions about them and much more. Keep Minecrafting…